Professor Keith Owen talks about practical self defense, avoiding cult-like academies, teaching, the reasons people quit BJJ and finding your reason to train! Click “read more” for show notes!
- Origins / How he found Jiu-Jitsu
- Master Pedro Sauer as an instructor
- one of his favorite memories of Master Sauer
- Respect and etiquette in Jiu-Jitsu
- The importance of surrounding yourself with positive people
- Avoiding cult-like academies
- Why worrying about “being the best” can be unhealthy
- His thoughts on the division between different branches of Jiu-Jitsu
- Why relying solely on a weapon isn’t enough for self defense
- Should the 20ft rule really be the 30ft rule?
- Addressing the reality of gun and knife attacks on the street
- Finding your reason to train
- Why do so many people quit Jiu-Jitsu?
- How long should students wait before rolling?
- The thrill as an instructor of transforming the weak into bad asses
- his ultimate goal in Jiu-Jitsu