Professor Darlynson Lira is a 5th degree black belt under his father, 9th degree Red Belt, Master Darcio Lira. He is from one of the few successful lineages outside the Gracie family and has a very interesting approach to teaching and competition. He gives great insight on history and the current BJJ scene. Click “Read More” for show notes!
- His hometown of Fortaleza
- The presence of non-Gracie lineages in Brazil
- The importance of self defense based Jiu-Jitsu
- Realistic application of sport Jiu-Jitsu on the street
- Using competition as a tool to track progress, overcome fears and improve yourself
- The importance of exploring ALL techniques, even if some aren’t “your style”
- How the IBJJF’s rules limit Jiu-Jitsu
- The Black Belt is not for everybody!
- The use of attendance cards in BJJ academies
- Why you MUST roll
- Using code words while coaching at competitions
- Professor Lira’s extensive and difficult belt tests
- Advice for white belts
- Being a good role model